Black Friday, infamous for its consumerism and shopping chaos, is just around the corner. However, this year, there's a sustainable, planet-positive alternative to Black Friday called Green Friday, which is gaining momentum. In this article, we'll explore why Green Friday is an eco-conscious choice for consumers and how you can join us at neat., to get involved. (Hint: we’ve got deals to save pounds and planet!)
The Dark Side of Black Friday
Before we delve into Green Friday, it's crucial to understand why Black Friday has received criticism in recent years. This annual shopping extravaganza is notorious for its negative impact on the planet and society. Here are a few key concerns:
- Overconsumption: Black Friday encourages people to buy things they don't necessarily need, leading to unnecessary waste and overconsumption as well as debt.
- Environmental Impact: The manufacturing, transportation, and disposal of products purchased on Black Friday contribute to carbon emissions, pollution, and resource depletion.
What Is Green Friday?
Green Friday, which takes place on the same day as Black Friday (24th November 2023), is a movement aimed at promoting sustainable and eco-friendly alternatives. It encourages consumers to make more conscious choices and support businesses that prioritise ethical practices, environmental responsibility, and social good.
The B Corp Connection
Neat is proud to be a B Corp-certified company. That means we have made a commitment to prioritise the planet and people over profits. This Green Friday, neat is not only offering sustainable products but also actively promoting the idea of responsible consumerism. Check out our Green Friday deals here.
Neat’s Impact so far…
By choosing neat YOU have made a significant positive impact on the environment! Thank you. Since October 2021 neat has saved 64 tonnes of plastic which when added up equals the total weight of 5 double decker buses. Now that’s something to celebrate!
Each bottle of conventional, single-use cleaner can contain up to 65g of plastic. When you throw away a cleaner every month, it can contribute to 82.8g of carbon emissions into the atmosphere. Switching to neat's refill model not only reduces plastic waste but also decreases your carbon footprint. We are proud to know that our neat shoppers have helped us from 81 tonnes of extra carbon being produced which you would need just over 3,700 trees to absorb.
Why Choose Sustainable Brands
Supporting sustainable brands like neat on Green Friday is not just a trend; it's a responsible choice for the planet and future generations. Here are some reasons why opting for eco-conscious brands is a good idea:
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Sustainable companies are more likely to use eco-friendly materials, reduce waste, and minimise their carbon footprint.
- Ethical Practices: Many sustainable brands uphold ethical working practices, ensuring fair wages and safe working conditions for their employees.
- Quality Over Quantity: Sustainable products are designed to last longer and provide better value, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
- Supporting Innovation: By choosing eco-friendly brands, you encourage innovation in the development of sustainable technologies and practices.
- Building a Better Future: Your choices today influence the direction of the business world. Supporting sustainable brands contributes to a more responsible and eco-friendly future.
Green Friday in Action
To participate in Green Friday, you can:
- Research and support B Corp-certified companies like neat and other eco-friendly brands that align with your values.
- Opt for durable, eco-friendly products that are built to last and reduce your environmental impact.
- Share the concept of Green Friday with your friends and family to promote conscious consumerism here.
- Consider alternative gifts, such as experiences, homemade items, or donations to charitable organisations, to reduce material consumption. What about our gorgeous Foaming Handwash Bundle as a festive gift this year? Help kick start someone’s plastic free journey.
It's time to rethink our approach to shopping and consider the long-term consequences of our consumer choices. Green Friday offers an excellent opportunity to break away from the overconsumption cycle of Black Friday and make a positive impact on the planet.